Parish History

Henry Erben Organ donated in 1854

Agnus Dei stained glass window above the altar circa 1860

To experience more parish history and hands-on activities for all ages, visit the Westmoreland Parish Museum, located directly behind the church building

St. Peter's Episcopal Church, Oak Grove, is located in the Northern Neck of Virginia, Westmoreland County, known as the "cradle of the nation". Originally named Appomattox, the Washington Parish was established in 1653 by early settlers to the Virginia colonies. The original sanctuary building was constructed between 1848–1849 in a Gothic Revival style brick. A vestry room, recept, and the single round Agnus Dei stained glass window were installed in 1860. The exposed cross-beamed ceiling and raised roof were added in 1883.

A fire in December 2023 destroyed the main church building including the original stained glass windows and Henry Erben organ. and damaged the outer buildings, the colonial design of the sanctuary had been beautifully maintained while adding conveniences such as air conditioning and a sound system. Modern expansion over the years includes a Parish Hall, Sunday School and offices.

St. Peter's was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 2004.

Several children and grandchildren of early church members were among the nation's first leaders:


The Taylor House book in PDF Format

Taylor House Property

In 2019, the vestry voted to purchase property adjoining the church grounds with several outbuildings and a home known as the Taylor House, circa 1840. A committee is currently deciding how the property can best be utilized to further St. Peter's mission and ministries.

After it was determined the structure could not be safely renovated, a local Northern Neck man, David Bostic, deconstructed the Taylor House and salvaged the materials to refurbish his own home in Winton, circa 1742. The  beams and joists were all hand cut notched and tenon joints, along with variable widths of center cut pine flooring.

A St. Peter's Parishioner, Dr. Peter Fahrney, documented the history of the Taylor House in the attached book.

The property as it looks today.